Chronology of Lumbini
350- 375 AD: Monk Seng-tsai from China makes a pilgrimage to Lumbini and writes accounts of his visit.
636 AD: Chinese scholar Xuanzang visits Lumbini. He describes Lumbini as “a deserted place, and wild animals roamed around enough to warn off travellers."
1312 AD: Ripu Malla, King of the Malla Kingdom of Kathmandu, visits Lumbini. He is the last visitor to leave evidence of his visit for more than 500 years. The site is gradually abandoned.
1896: General Khadga Shamsher, Governor of Tansen, organizes an expedition together with German archaeologist Anton Fuhrer. The Asoka Pillar, which marks Buddha’s birthplace, is re-discovered.
1956: King Mahendra visits Lumbini and proposes steps for Lumbini’s development at the Fourth Assembly of World Fellowship of Buddhists.
April 1967: UN Secretary-General U Thant visits Lumbini, and initiates international support to develop Lumbini for pilgrimage and tourism and as a symbol for tolerance and world peace.
1978: The Government and the UN approve the Kenzo Tange Master Plan.