1923 - 1962
The birthplace of Myanmar democracy
This building inside the Secretariat complex is one of the most important historic buildings in Myanmar. It was built in 1923 for the new Legislative Council. From 1937-42, during the premierships of Dr Ba Maw, U Saw and U Pu, it served as the House of Representatives. In 1947, it was used for the Constituent Assembly which drafted the country's first democratic constitution. It then became the location of parliament (the Lower House) from 1948-58 and 1960-62. General Aung San, U Tin Tut, U Nu, U Ba Swe, U Kyaw Nyein and others all spoke within its walls.
This modest structure has been the scene of great drama and many fiery debates, from the 1920s when arguments were made for and against home rule and the separation from India to the final days of U Nu's government in March 1962. Fortunately, the building remains almost exactly as it was in 1962.
Photo credit: Moe Moe Lwin