1867 - 1923
The Lim Chin Tsong Palace
The Lim Chin Tsong Palace c. 1920 at the corner of Kokine and Victoria Roads (now Kaba Aye Pagoda Road and University Avenue). Lim Chin Tsong (1867-1923) was a very successful Sino-Burmese businessman, born in Amoy, educated at St Paul's, owner of the Rangoon Turf Club, and Member of the Burma Legislative Council. In 1918 he built this lavish residence in a peculiar mix of Western and Chinese styles for a whopping 22 lakh kyats (rupees). The murals inside were painted by the English artists Ernst and Dod Proctor. The palace is now the State Fine Arts School. The once beautiful gardens could easily be recreated and the entire site would be an excellent place for public events. Much of the building is not really used and even if it continues to house the school it could easily perform other functions. It's definitely worth a visit.